FLAMING GORGE FISHING DERBY
OFFICIAL RULES AND REGULATIONS
May 20th and 21st, 2023
1. A team may consist of 1 to 3 members. All team members must fish together i.e., fish from same boat, shoreline, etc. Passengers are allowed in the boat.
2. Entry fee: $200.00 per team.
3. Teams are required to register online at www.flaminggorgefishderby.com by May 12th or up to a maximum of 400 teams. Payment of registration will serve as a liability waiver for all
4. Teams will be required to have their team card with all team members listed during the tournament and when checking in fish.
5. All teams must check in for team registration at Lucerne Valley Marina on Friday May 19, 2023, no later than 8:00 pm. Registration opens at 11:00 am.
6. Captains must be 18 years or older.
7. Fishing times: Saturday – 5:30 am to 6:00 pm and Sunday – 5:30 am to 1:00 pm.
8. Fish must be registered at Lucerne, Cedar Springs or Buckboard Marina weigh stations no later than one half (1/2) hour after the close of each tournament day. This means scales will be open from 6:00 am to 6:30 pm on Saturday and 6:00 am to 1:30 pm on Sunday. No exceptions.
9. All entries except the Trophy Lake Trout will be based on weight, in case of a tie, length will be the determining factor.
10. If the Trophy Lake Trout category is not filled, the prize money will be divided and paid into the other categories.
11. The Derby is subject to cancellation due to weather conditions. The cancellation decision will be made by Derby officials, Lucerne Marina, the US Forest Service or Utah DWR.
Anglers will be notified by Marine Band Radio, text or email.
12. All contestants must observe all US Coast Guard, Wyoming Game & Fish, Utah DWR, Utah State Parks, US Forest Service, and Daggett/Sweetwater County rules and regulations
concerning sport fishing and safe boating on Flaming Gorge Reservoir. This includes UT & WY AIS regulations.
13. All of Lake Flaming Gorge is involved in the tournament. No boundaries, except for no fishing inside of the buoys of Buckboard, Lucerne & Cedar Springs Marinas.
14. Closing ceremony will be at Lucerne Valley Marina where prizes will be awarded on Sunday, May 21, 2023 at approximately 3:00 pm. Cash prizes may increase or decrease depending upon the number of entries.
15. There will be a heaviest, average team weight category for the Pup Lake Trout (see #5 of prize qualifications). All fish entered are subject to examination by fisheries biologists and
16. Due to the WY regulation – BASS MAY ONLY BE CAUGHT IN UTAH WATERS and weighed at either Lucerne Valley Marina or Cedar Springs Marina. Any contestant caught with bass in their possession in Wyoming will be immediately disqualified from the tournament.
Violation of regulations: All contestants must have a valid fishing license. Any participant who is cited for a violation of WGFD Fishing, Watercraft or Aquatic Invasive Species Regulations while participating in the contest (Chapters 46, 22, 62) from 5:30 am on May 20th through 100 pm on May 21st , will be disqualified.
Culling is not permitted. The decision to release a fish or keep it for contest entry must be made immediately upon capture. Any fish caught that is not to be entered into the contest shall be immediately released to the water with as little injury to the fish as possible. Once a fish is put on a stringer, in a container or in a live well it cannot be released. Participants violating this rule will be disqualified.
AIS Inspection requirements: Any contest watercraft coming from out of the state of Wyoming by land from March 1 through November 30, are required to undergo a mandatory inspection by an authorized AIS inspector prior to launching. Participants violating that regulation will be disqualified. Derby Captains must provide their “Mussel Aware Certification” number from the Utah Division of Wildlife Resources and watercraft bow number in order to complete online registration. Please go to the following link to complete the certification.
Trophy Lake Trout only: The large Lake Trout in Flaming Gorge are a precious resource that the Flaming Gorge Fish Derby, Utah Division of Wildlife Resources and Wyoming Game & Fish want to protect. We are providing a catch and release option for entering Lake Trout into the derby this year. Lake Trout will not be weighed but will be measured for overall length. This is the only species that will be measured during the Derby.
Note: In order for the fish to qualify, the picture must be taken from directly above the fish, not at an angle. The entire front of the ruler and line of the ruler must be clearly visible. The snout must be clearly visible at the beginning line of the ruler and the tail clearly visible in relationship to the ruler.
If a participant does not register the fish using MyCatch, then the actual fish will need to be entered at one of the weigh stations. Per Wyoming Game & Fish and Utah Division of Wildlife Resources regulations, fish entered at a weigh station must be dead prior to leaving the lake.